[yocto] False dependency on non-existent libgettextlib-dev

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:05:31 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> its probably due to solib name renaming, which is debian thing.
> you just might kill this -dev package completely and just have gettext-dev
> have everything development related.
Hi Khem,

Thanks for your response.  How would I go about killing this '-dev' package?

With a little more digging, I found that the package_depchains
function of package.bbclass is generating the dependency from
gettext-dev to the non-exisitant libgettextlib-dev package---a "if A
depends on B, then A-dev depends on B-dev" rule.

I was able to suppress this behaviour with:
RRECOMMENDS_gettext-dev[nodeprrecs] = "1"

This 'nodeprrecs' technique seems rarely used and a bit heavy-handed
(I don't want to get rid of all dependencies, just ones that don't
exist).

How else might I tackle this?

--Ash