[yocto] bblayer priorities ignored for bbappends?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:23:55 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 12:29:21PM +0200, Tobias Olausson wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> On 8 April 2015 at 10:55, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tobias,
> >
> > On Wednesday 08 April 2015 08:54:20 Tobias Olausson wrote:
> > > I just had a weird experience with yocto and I wanted to know if the
> > > described behaviour is intentional.
> > >
> > > I have a layer with priority 7 containing a recipe, foo.bb. In another
> > > layer, with priority 8, there is a foo.bbappend. Finally, I just added
> > > another layer, with priority 9, where foo.bb is redefined as a binary
> > > recipe.
> > >
> > > When I added the last layer, I expected that to take precedence over the
> > > other two. However, the bbappend for foo is still applied (which in this
> > > case changed the SRC_URI, making the whole binary recipe moot). Is this
> > > really the way it's supposed to be? I would expect that lower layers
> > cannot
> > > influence layers with higher priority at all, but that does not seem to
> > be
> > > the case.
> >
> > That is the case, yes - bbappends are always applied. As far as I am aware
> > this is the first time this kind of situation has been asked about though
> > so
> > it's probably just that we didn't consider it before.
> >

> I see. I can see a point of always applying bbappends, of course, I had
> just never considered it either.
>

> > Presumably you could use a bbappend rather than a recipe in the last layer?
> > You might need to stub out some of the functions of course, but it should
> > be
> > possible.
> >

> Indeed, that is a reasonable solution.

It's also possible to use BBMASK to mask bbappends from lower layers in
cases where bbappends are hard/impossible to undo and you cannot easily
convert the recipe in top layer to bbappend (e.g. you don't want to,
because it's different version and lower bbappends are version agnostic
with %).

Regards,