[yocto] Herp-a-Derp Alert: Changes to SRCREV Unpack Wrong Version

Leo Schwab lschwab at sensity.com
Wed Sep 24 15:04:46 PDT 2014

I suspect this is a common issue, but my Google-fu has gotten me no closer
to understanding what I might be doing wrong, so here goes:

We have written recipes for various goodies -- both .bb and .bbappend forms
-- where SRC_URI points to a Git repository, and SRCREV names a commit ID
(not a tag or a branch name).  When we update the SRCREV to something
newer, 'bitbake' goes through the motions of rebuilding the recipe but,
when we look at the result, the thing it built is still the old revision.
This is confirmed when we look at the file 'log.do_unpack' in the build
directory, where it is clearly checking out the wrong commit ID.

I've tried fiddling around various ways with SRC_URI and SRCREV, but the
problem persists.  All our SRC_URIs have a 'branch=' parameter, and the
SRCREV points to a commit ID on that branch.  I've tried adding a
'name=blah' parameter to the SRC_URI, and then declaring SRCREV_blah, but
that doesn't seem to help, either.  We do not do anything with ${PV} or
${PR} in our recipes.

In short, from where is the do_unpack step getting the SRCREV it's passing
to 'git checkout'?  How can I trigger a rebuild using the value named in
the recipe when SRCREV is updated?  We are using Yocto 1.6.1 (Dora).

Thanks,
Schwab