[yocto] How to include static library and headers in sdk

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Tue Sep 23 09:43:55 PDT 2014

If I add my simple1 and simple2 recipes to IMAGE_INSTALL I get the following error in the do_rootfs task:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package simple1.

I assumed that this is because there really is nothing to install in the image as this is a static library with nothing that should go in the image.

> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-
> manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage
>
> > When I build my image (i.e. bitbake custom-image ) I can see that the
> > library header files and .a files are placed in the correct place in
> > the sysroot directory.
> >
> > However when I try to create an sdk (i.e. bitbake custom-image -c
> > populate_sdk) and then install the SDK the headers and .a files are
> > nowhere to be found in the installed sysroot.
>
> If you want all -staticdev packages in the SDK for the libraries in
> your image, add the following to your local.conf (or the image recipe,
> doesn't matter which):
>
>  SDKIMAGE_FEATURES = "dev-pkgs dbg-pkgs staticdev-pkgs"
>
> If you want a single staticdev package in the SDK you'd need to add the
> following instead:
>
>  TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_append = " simple1-staticdev"

Again if I try adding this to my image recipe I get a similar error
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package simple1-staticdev.

For reference here is my simple1 recipe, maybe I'm missing something in there.

DESCRIPTION = "Simple library 1."
LICENSE = "CLOSED"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = ""

SRC_URI = "git://git@gitlab.work.net/libs/simple1.git;protocol=ssh"