[yocto] xdebug - phpinfo() doesn't report xdebug.

edk at tlindustries.com edk at tlindustries.com
Mon Sep 22 12:06:41 PDT 2014

Hello,
My first post here and I'm very new to Yocto.  Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome project!

I need some help getting xdebug to work with modphp and apache2 in the yocto environment.

I have successfully built a target image that serves web pages fine with modphp and apache2.  HOWEVER I can't seem to get xdebug to appear anywhere in the phpinfo() report.

I realize this may not be a yocto specific question, but I have used xdebug and modphp in other Linux environments and have never had this problem. I'm curious if anyone has used xdebug successfully with Yocto or can see what I may be doing wrong.

Here is what I have so far:

According to the http://xdebug.org/wizard.php I should use xdebug 2.2.5 for php 5.5.2.  Since Yocto dora only has xdebug 2.2.3, I copied the xdebug_2.2.5.bb recipe (unchanged) from master to my layer.

To fix an invalid source url and to get some needed modphp features, I wrote a modphp_5.5.2.bbappend file in my layer:

# ELK: bad link - original: http://www.php.net/distributions/php-${PV}.tar.bz2
SRC_URI_remove = "http://www.php.net/distributions/php-${PV}.tar.bz2 "
SRC_URI =. "http://museum.php.net/php5/php-${PV}.tar.bz2 "
DEPENDS += "libxml2"

EXTRA_OECONF_remove = " \
  --disable-pdo \
  --disable-xml \
  --disable-xmlreader \
  --disable-xmlwriter \
  --disable-simplexml \
  --disable-libxml \
"

EXTRA_OECONF += " \
  --enable-pdo \
  --enable-xml \
  --enable-xmlreader \
  --enable-xmlwriter \
  --enable-simplexml \
  --enable-libxml \
  --with-libxml-dir=${STAGING_DIR_TARGET}${exec_prefix} \
"

Other specific information:
  1. Yocto Dora 1.5
  2. Kernel: 3.0.35-4.1.0-edm_fairy+ga97aa82 (for Technexion edm1-cf-imx6 / Fairy board)
  2. xdebug_2.2.5.bb
  3. modphp_5.5.2.bb (with my above bbappend).
  4. apache2-native_2.4.6.bb, apache2_2.4.6.bb (dora)
  5. Manually edited the following to /etc/php/apache2-php5/php.ini on the target and rebooted:

[XDebug]
zend_extension=/usr/lib/php5/extensions/debug-zts-20121212/xdebug.so
xdebug.remote_enable=1
xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
xdebug.remote_mode=req
xdebug.remote_host=192.168.1.31
xdebug.remote_port=9000

A link to my phpinfo() report:
   http://pastebin.com/QVhnwbWm

Again the above builds fine and runs ok, but I can't get xdebug to work.
Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Ed