[yocto] python3.3 module encodings not found

Soda sodovkar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 04:22:12 PDT 2014

Hello developers,

I have recently switch to the poky-1.6.1, mainly because of python3.
First of all I must say that I see significant improvements in the new
yocto 1.6.1 (compare to the 1.5.1), so thanks to all contributors!

The python3 package is successfully compiled and installed on my target
board (Atmel A5),
the problem I'm getting is the python3 cannot find the 'encodings'
module, maybe because
there is none in the /usr/lib/python3.3/  copying one from python2 did
not work - obviously.

This is the actual error I get:

  # python3
  Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
  ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
  Aborted

More detailed error:

  # python3 -v
  import _frozen_importlib # frozen
  import imp # builtin
  import sys # builtin
  # installing zipimport hook
  import 'zipimport' # <class '_frozen_importlib.BuiltinImporter'>
  # installed zipimport hook
  Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1565, in _find_and_load
    File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1529, in
_find_and_load_unlocked
  ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
  Aborted

Looking forward for any hints or solutions.

Mark