[yocto] Include PaX / GRSecurity

Stath, Paul PStath at Axxcelera.com
Mon Sep 8 10:23:37 PDT 2014

Jens Lecius <incnews at jenslucius.de> write:

> I am trying to include the GRSecurity & PaX patches for the kernel in a Yocto build.
>
> The patch is applied to the kernel correctly, but when the build begins
> I get the following error:

> | Makefile:686: *** Your gcc installation does not support plugins. If
> the necessary headers for plugin support are missing, they should be
> installed.  On Debian, apt-get install gcc-<ver>-plugin-dev.  If you
> choose to ignore this error and lessen the improvements provided by this
> patch, re-run make with the DISABLE_PAX_PLUGINS=y argument..  Stop.

> Any ideas how to solve this? (Compile is on an Intel machine crosscompile for ARM)

> Thanks,
> Jens

By default, the gcc compiler built by Yocto is not configured with plug-in support.

To resolve this, I added a bbappend file for the gcc-cross recipe in my custom layer, which simply contained:

EXTRA_OECONF += "--enable-plugin"

This added the "--enable-plugin" flag to the do_configure task when configuring/building the gcc-cross compiler.

Note:  Where you add the "--enable-plugin" configure option will depend on which compiler needs plugin support.