[yocto] bash tab completion not working

Denis Laroche dlaroche7 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 14:41:52 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I built image core-image-full-cmdline on a beaglebone black and the
tab completion feature of bash is not working. Pressing the tab key
just puts the cursor to the next tab stop.

Looking at the bash binary on my workstation with the ldd command, I
see it is dependent on libreadline, but I don't see that dependency on
the binary of the beaglebone. I created a layer with a
bash_4.3.bbappend file containing this:

DEPENDS ?= ""
DEPENDS += "ncurses readline"

EXTRA_OECONF ?= ""
EXTRA_OECONF += "--enable-readline --with-curses"

I also added the layer to the build/conf/bblayers.conf file. Alas,
after rebuilding bash it still doesn't have a dependency on readline
and tab completion still doesn't work.

Would someone have a suggestion?

--
D. Laroche