[yocto] Time To Build Yocto

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Oct 22 12:59:37 PDT 2014

On 20 Oct 2014, at 21:44, nick <xerofoify at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering from your experience how long is the largest build you have ever seen and what was it building. I am
> considering a high powered build system for Yocto and want to known about build times in order to help me with
> purchasing decisions.

There was a recent thread discussing this - have a look at https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2014-October/021808.html

You need to start by working out what you'll be spending most of your time doing - full image builds, incremental images, single recipes, etc.

My build system has an i7-3820 overclocked to 4.6 GHz with 16 GB RAM and SSDs. It takes about an hour to build an X11 image from scratch (no shared state, source already downloaded). I could reduce the build time to about 25 minutes by upgrading to a new CPU (12 core, 24 threads) for $2700 - once you have your use-case you can do the math to work out what the payback time will be ;-)

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!