[yocto] Questions regarding adding a new llvm based cross-compiler

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:48:24 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:07:19AM +0100, Paul Barker wrote:
> On 16 October 2014 18:46, Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on creating a layer for the rust compiler (which uses
> > llvm) and was wondering if there were any best practices and/or
> > examples people could point me at.

Are you using llvm recipes from meta-oe (or at least starting from
them)?

> I can't really offer much help on the LLVM side, but I can say this
> will be really useful work. I'm slowly learning Rust and researching
> how it can be used for embedded development and it will be excellent
> to have a rust compiler working as part of OpenEmbedded/Yocto.
>
> If you need any testing of this layer once it's created, just let me know.

I'm also interested.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've asked Servo developer, how they do
cross-builds and he said that it's really simple with Rust and Cargo,
which support cross-compilation by design.

Now reading:
http://doc.crates.io/faq.html#does-cargo-handle-multi-platform-projects-or-cross-compilation?
it doesn't looks so convincing, but I would be happy to test.

Regards,
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com