[yocto] Error when copying the same file from two different packages/recipes with version 1.7

Francois P. Gallichand francois.p.gallichand at ca.abb.com
Fri Nov 28 16:37:02 PST 2014

Hello,

In a custom recipe I wrote, I want to replace a file that is already added by another package/recipe. I know that normally the proper way to do that would be to use a .bbappend recipe for the original recipe that installs this file and in this .bbappend, copy my version of the file; but this method does not achieve exactly what I want to do since I want to replace the file only when I include my recipe in the resulting build but keep the file from the original package/recipe if I don't include my recipe. So what I did is to add the file I want into my recipe and copy it at the same location where the original package/recipe puts it; then I added a "RDEPENDS_${PN} = original package" in my recipe so my file gets copied last, thus overwriting the file from the original package/recipe. This was working with version 1.6 of Yocto but with version 1.7, it gives an error saying that it does know how to handle the problem. It also suggest possible solutions to correct the problem. The one that I think I could use is about adding the problem file (or packages?) to the STATE_DUPWHITELIST. I am not sure if it is really the best solution or even how to apply it because I haven't found any documentation about this STATE_DUPWHITELIST.

Could someone tell how to use this STATE_DUPWHITELIST? Is it the way to go to solve my problem or is there a better way to do that?

Thank you.

François Gallichand
Engineer - Software Group
ABB Group