[yocto] Adding firmware to initramfs

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Nov 28 04:37:55 PST 2014

I'm network booting a system using iPXE. The process uses a core-image-minimal-initramfs image to select the final rootfs that gets loaded.

This generally works fine, but I need to be able to install linux-firmware in the initramfs image (specifically for the NIC that gets used to load the final rootfs).

How do I get linux-firmware to install in core-image-minimal-initramfs? I've tried adding the following into local.conf, but with no luck:

MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "linux-firmware"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " linux-firmware"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " linux-firmware"

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!