[yocto] Creating a recipe to create /usr/local

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Nov 27 13:00:02 PST 2014

On 27 Nov 2014, at 07:09, Chan Kit Yu <yuchankit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure if emailing this is the most appropriate way and I
> apologize in advance if that's not.
>
> I have some scripts that require /usr/local to exist in Yocto and
> therefore I need to a recipe to create /usr/local directory. I tried
> to accomplish this with a simple recipe but that proved futile.
>
> Although bitbaking that particular recipe was fine, trying to include
> that package in local.conf resulted errors and those errors are
> gibberish (it listed all the packages inside the image that I was
> trying to comple) . Here's my simple stupid recipe:
>
> SUMMARY= "...."
> LICENSE = "something...."
> INSANE_SKIP_${PN} = "installed-vs-shipped"
>
> do_install(){
>     mkdir -p ${D}/usr/local
> }

You need to use 'install' rather than mkdir

> Is there a better way (or preferably the canonical way) to do this?

Yes, there are some definitions you can use. In your case it would be:

   # Install the 'local' directory to make sure it exists
   install -d ${D}${prefix}/local

   # Install a file to this location
   install -f ${WORKDIR}/myfile ${D}${prefix}/local

The available definitions are shown at the top of meta/conf/bitbake.conf in your Poky installation.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!