[yocto] Layer model doomed, unless we all work together

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Nov 18 13:57:30 PST 2014

Hi Philip,

Yes.  What you said.  Some comments:

On 18 November 2014 21:28, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:

> 1) recipes that need to move closer to core because a range of other
> packages use them.

alsa-plugins is one of these - meta-multimedia or maybe oe-core is an
obvious home for this.  As a "maintainer" (ha!) of meta-guacamayo I can
take a look at this but I'm fairly busy at the moment so this may take a
while.

In an attempt to balance karma, I have submitted several new recipes that
were in meta-guacamayo and needed elsewhere to meta-multimedia in the last
week. :)

> 2) people feel they have to remove recipes from layers and make local
> copies.

Making local copies if fine if required, but I agree that there's bound to
be a high number of recipes which are forked because that was easier than
writing a bbappend, and the reason for this fork was needed is never
resolved in the original layer.

Looking over the duplicate list, there's some obvious low-hanging fruit.
Angstrom duplicates recipes that are in meta-multimedia. meta-webos and
meta-webos-ports seem to be full of duplicates.  meta-guacamayo has some
recipes that were version bumps two years ago when oe-core was frozen.  The
dpdk duplicates are a bug in the tool with regards to sub-layers.

It's a shame that we can't make this some form of offense.  Maybe we should
spend some time researching
https://nctritech.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/tcpip_punch1.jpg?

Ross