[yocto] Making Hob better.

John Unland opensourcejohn2112 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:58:28 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

I am new to the embedded space, been working with embedded for a
couple of months now as well as Linux itself. After much time spent
with Hob I have to say it's a awesome tool to use. However I would
like it to be better than it already is, I see the potential of this
interface to help newbies like myself, weather it be hobbyist or
industrial use. So below is what I have found through my fiddling
around with Hob.

-Some interface inconsistencies when your selecting layers, image
type, distro type etc.

-Image deployments (Only .hddimg and .iso can be deployed to physical
media at the end (To my knowledge) of the build process. There's is a
lot of FS types, but I would really like to have a steps on how to
install these other FS types which documentation nor simply goggling
it helps)

-Branding. There are ways to go and edit files to specify how to
rebrand and stuff but that requires a command line. I would like to
have the simple screen where I can add branding (Boot screens, Logos,
and distro names etc.). I could definitely if Hob does have a Web User
interface where I can't access a command line to change parameters of
the finished product.

-Documentation is awesome, however from a person that has only a year
and a half experience using Linux it's kinda hard reading it
sometimes. (Not really anything bad on Yocto's part. I would just like
to input something that newbies can be represented in this project)

I really could see Hob become a open source version of openSUSE Studio
(Which it's closed source) but for embedded devices. So that's just my
hopes for Hob / Yocto could become...

Lastly, I would really love to help with development as well. I
haven't really gotten into programming that much but I have worked
with the Fedora Server Special Interest Group doing QA for Alpha and
Beta release. So if anyone can put me in the right direction I can
certainly help YP out.

Thank you.