[yocto] Build optimization question

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 20:27:07 PST 2014

Diego,
I agree with Ross here in from my experience with embedded systems the three best ways to strip your root
file system are by removing unneeded boot loader coe, removing unneeded kernel components and that of striping
your middle ware to smaller versions like Busybox and other similiar packages like elibc. Also running strip
after your debugging is done for the target can strip your code even further, there are cases of stripping large
programs like the kernel down from 20 megabytes to 2. Lastly, linking Busybox statically is great if you don't need
a reason to link it against a C library implementation as static versions of Busybox can easily be less then  10
megabytes from my reading and experience.
Regards Nick