[yocto] Another sstate rebuild issue, badly need help understanding sstate

Vuille, Martin (Martin) vmartin at avaya.com
Mon Nov 3 04:53:23 PST 2014

Poky 1.6.1 / daisy

I have a variable "REV_TOOLS" defined in distro/conf/somename.conf in a
custom distro layer from a git repo.

This variable is assigned to SRCREV in a number of recipes (SRCREV = "${REV_TOOLS}")
for packages included in my images and SDKs.

Pulled an update to the distro layer that changed the value of REV_TOOLS.

Rebuilt all my images and SDKs, but bitbake decided there was nothing to do.

Looking at toaster, all the do_build tasks for the packages affected by this change
say "Prebuilt" and the other tasks say "Covered". If I understand correctly, this
means sstate didn't detect any change.

I am continually running into this problem and am at my wits' end. Why didn't
the affected packages get rebuilt? Clearly there is something I don't understand
and would appreciate some hint.

MV