[yocto] Detailed steps involved in populate_sdk

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat May 31 19:49:09 PDT 2014

On May 30, 2014 7:15 AM, "Anooj Gopi" <Anooj.Gopi at alpine.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to yocto project and learning about the project step by step for
one of our project.

> For study purpose, I'm currently using the latest yocto git clone and
built "bitbake core-image-minimal" successfully for "beaglebone". I have
got all the target images to boot. At this point I assume that all the
native tool chain binaries required to build the target image is already
generated by yocto.

> Now when I try to create the SDK with the command "bitbake
core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk", I can see there is again native
packages being configured and compiled. As per my understanding about yocto
I was expecting this would have already done during "bitbake
core-image-minimal" because all these tools are required to build the
images. In my understanding populate_sdk would just install the "native
package deb files" already created during "bitbake core-image-minimal". I
know there is something wrong in my understanding. Could you please explain
bit in detail.

sdks are supposed to run on different hosts too which we call sdkhost there
fore it has to build native sdk packages to insulate itself from build
host. for normal build these consideration is not needed