[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Using the camera

Alexandru Vaduva vaduvajanalexandru at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 13:51:17 PDT 2014

Hello,

Sorry for my late response, I put on pause the investigation with this bug.
Hope to return to it next month (or at least after 13 June).
Right now in my head there are more questions then answers regarding
this bug, so I cannot really help.A quick suggestion would be to inspect the config.txt for raspbian for example
and investigate the differences.
Also try GPU_MEM = "256" just to make a confirmation of my assumption that
something is missing.

Thanks,
Alex

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 2:37 PM, Alex J Lennon <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:

On 03/12/2013 22:13, jan alexandru vaduva wrote:
> Hello guys, I am trying to enable the functionality for the camera.
> I am trying to solve the following problem:
>     mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component
> 'vc.ril.camera'
>     mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component
> 'vc.ril.camera'
>     mmal: Failed to create camera component
> Updated to the latest firmware, enabled the functionality into
> config.txt but the problem continues.
>
> The problem seems to be the rootfs constructions. The right libraries
> are there but the name of the component that the function needs is not
> there. I assume it will take me some time to solve it, but when the
> time permits I will try to wrap this thing up.

Hi Alex,

Did manage to get to the bottom of this? I'm seeing the same thing with
raspivid / raspistill (although mjpg-streamer works fine).

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera'

- My checkout of meta-raspberrypi is current on f3a8693f (Andrei
Gherzan, May 8th) so I don't believe this is an out of date firmware
issue (?)

- I tried disabling the preview screen in case there was some kind of
video overlay issue

e.g. raspivid -n -w 640 -h 480 -fps 5

- I'm not seeing ENOMEM as the error and my GPU_MEM = "128" which I've
checked translates into the correct setting in config.txt in the boot
partition

- I read that it could possibly be related to current consumption and
the polyfuse, so I'm now powering from a bench PSU direct into the P1
header, and current limiting isn't the issue.

- I've just put a downloaded and put copy of Raspbian on there.  Running
raspivid seems to work fine (preview screen etc. etc.)

e.g. raspivid -w 640 -h 480 -fps 5

- Looking at the raspivid source it seems a fairly straightforward setup
call is failing early on, leading me to think something is missing as
you suggest?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/blob/677f3cc646c8847822998c6409a748c900897076/host_applications/linux/apps/raspicam/RaspiVid.c

Thanks,

Alex