[yocto] headers only recipe

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed May 21 01:52:14 PDT 2014

On 20 May 2014 22:44,  <ezekiel at sanborndeasis.net> wrote:
> I have a recipe that only produces dev headers (macros, constants, etc).
> Builds fine, and recipes dependent on these headers are fine as well. The
> problem is that only a dev and dbg ipkg get produced for deploy (makes
> sense, there is no device side content). But then do_rootfs fails because it
> expects an ipkg for this recipe
>
> opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package foobar
>
> I am working around it by throwing down a dummy conf file as output from
> this recipe so there is something to build an ipkg around. But how do I
> indicate that there is no normal device side content from this recipe.

Whilst using ALLOW_EMPTY works, to me using that is a kludge.  This
isn't like package groups where the empty package serves a purpose,
the empty foobar package's sole purpose is to satisfy the foobar
dependency in foobar-dev.  This dependency is a default dependency
from bitbake.conf and is trivially removed in your recipe:

RDEPENDS_${PN}-dev = ""

Ross