[yocto] can one lay hands on a galileo-based dev kit?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri May 16 03:47:56 PDT 2014

On Friday 16 May 2014 11:29:34 Alex J Lennon wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>  git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel-iot-devkit
> >>
> >> I built one of my own custom mono images based on core-image-sato
> >> thinking I could
> >> put that on a uSD and it would "just boot" (oh the optimism... :)
> >>
> >> No joy there so I took a quick look through that Quark BSP guide and it
> >> seemed to be
> >> talking about booting some odd kind of image format from a file on uSD.
> >>
> >> I stepped back and had it build the iot-devkit-image which seemed to
> >> need be to make a
> >> change to an image dependency on python to python-core.
> >>
> >> That's where I had to leave it as I ran out of time. I was planning on
> >> hooking up serial to the
> >> Tx/Rx pins to see if anything is happening there, getting something
> >> building, then replacing
> >> the meta-intel-iot-devkit references in BBLAYERS (aside from
> >> meta-clanton) with the daisy
> >> layers I'm using on a day to day basis.
> >
> > So apologies for not replying earlier - I've not been directly involved in
> > the BSP for Galileo, but I have been providing support for the team doing
> > the IoT DevKit work. You should be able to build images for Galileo using
> > what's in meta-intel-iot-devkit directly; you could also use the layers
> > within it separately using your own separate OE-Core / Poky tree, but
> > it's not really designed to be used in that way. If you really want to do
> > it separately you should take care to use all three layers
> > (meta-clanton-bsp, meta-galileo, and meta-iot-devkit) and set your DISTRO
> > = "iot-devkit".
> >
> > FYI as of yesterday there is also now a "devkit-daisy" branch which is
> > updated on top of the daisy branch, but it is a work-in-progress at the
> > moment so don't be too surprised if something breaks (although it did work
> > well for me here).
> >
> > To create a partitioned image file suitable for dd'ing to an SD card, the
> > easiest way is to use the wic tool - for example, to build a final image
> > from an image called "iot-devkit-image" that you just built using the
> > build
> >
> > system:
> >   wic create iot-devkit -e iot-devkit-image
> >
> > ("iot-devkit" here points to scripts/lib/image/canned-wks/iot-devkit.wks
> > which tells wic how to format the image).
> >
> > I'd recommend you then use the ddimage helper script that we have since it
> > provides a measure of assurance that you've got the right device before
> >
> > overwriting its contents, for example:
> >   sudo ../scripts/contrib/ddimage
> >   /var/tmp/wic/build/iot-devkit-NNNNN-mmcblkp0.direct /dev/mmcblk0>
> > Cheers,
> > Paul
>
> Thanks Paul. Very useful, particularly the image creation incantations.
> I'll give this a go as soon as I can make some time.
>
> I really want to be building the same distro for multiple targets here
> (i.MX6, RPi, Galileo, qemu), but Poky is breaking for me.
>
> I'm using my day to day daisy layers with the meta-intel-iot-devkit ones

I think you should probably have meta-iot-devkit as well even if you don't use
DISTRO = "iot-devkit".

> The latest build failure was a missing grub which I suppose is to be
> expected as I'm not using the correct/recommended distro (?)

When you say "missing grub" can you be more specific about the error?

> Can you comment on what the main difference is in intention/what's
> supplied between the poky reference distro and the iot-devkit distro?

Well, looking at the distro config itself there's actually not that much in it
of real substance, but there are some bbappends in the meta-iot-devkit layer,
hence why I'd suggest including it.

Cheers,
Paul

--