[yocto] Changing metadata during bitbaking

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:41:55 PDT 2014

Hi,

(apologies if this is the wrong list---I tried sending to the bitbake
list and got bounced)

Under what conditions can I change the content of layers without
affecting an ongoing bitbake?

On occasion, I find myself wanting to do git operations on my layers
while I've got a build going on.  I've typically assumed this might
screw up bitbake but was wondering that my assumption isn't really
accurate.  Specifically, are these rules reasonable?
- don't mess around with the content of layers while bitbake is parsing
- once bitbake has parsed and started baking, playing around with
metadata should not affect the current build
- source/config files (i.e. any file:// in SRC_URI) may be fetched at
any time therefore don't mess around with files that might be used in
a build

Thanks,

Ash