[yocto] procps_3.2.8: problem with install of a user defined package split

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Wed May 14 11:17:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. We have problem with one of our .bbappend files that tries to
> split procps in some more fine grained packages.
> Currently this is only done for 'top' and 'ps'. The actual issue here
> is that /usr/bin/top.procps gets installed on our image but *not*
> /bin/ps.procps?
>
> The IMAGE_INSTALL sets both procps-ps and procps-top.
> The .bbappend looks like this:
>
> --
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> PRINC = "0"
>
> PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-lib ${PN}-top ${PN}-ps "
>
> # Make sure base package installs ${PN}-lib
> RDEPENDS_${PN} = "${PN}-lib"
>
> FILES_${PN}-top = "${bindir}/top.procps"
> FILES_${PN}-ps = "${base_bindir}/ps.procps"
> FILES_${PN}-lib = "${libdir}/*-${PV}.so ${base_libdir}/*-${PV}.so"
>
> --
>
> As simple as it can be  ;) The packages-split folder contains both
> packages, and they both contain the proper files after a build. That
> is, procps-ps/bin/ps.procps and procps-top/usr/bin/top.procps.
>
> If we instead change to the below it works!?
>
> --
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> PRINC = "0"
>
> PACKAGES =+ "${PN}-lib ${PN}-top_ps "
>
> # Make sure base package installs ${PN}-lib
> RDEPENDS_${PN} = "${PN}-lib"
>
> FILES_${PN}-top_ps = "${bindir}/top.procps ${base_bindir}/ps.procps"
> FILES_${PN}-lib = "${libdir}/*-${PV}.so ${base_libdir}/*-${PV}.so"
>
> --
>
> Using the latter recipe and after updating IMAGE_INSTALL both
> ps.procps and top.procps ends up in our image.
> But, due to all the frustration we have had with this, we would really
> like to understand why things seems to fail miserably when using the
> first variant of  it.
> Using both recipes the lib package get installed correctly. We also
> have busybox applets enabled for 'ps' and 'top' but that we will take
> care of using the already existing logic in procps for
> update-alternatives. But since '/bin/ps.procps' does not get installed
> there is no point in even trying.
>
> Anyone that has a clue?
>
> We are on a very early Yocto/poky 1.5 baseline.

When you least expect to find it, you do ;)
It happens to be that the build framework on-top of Yocto was recently
changed and that the image recipe was picked up from a second source.
In that version only procps-top_ps was included. By actually stepping
the image recipe revision it was obvious since it still built the old
one!
Sorry for disturbing the peace :)