[yocto] can one lay hands on a galileo-based dev kit?

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Tue May 13 07:33:33 PDT 2014

On 13/05/2014 14:56, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Alex J Lennon wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/2014 17:34, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   i've just been asked to design a linux device drivers course based
>>> on the arduino-compatible intel galileo processor, so my first TODO
>>> item is to lay hands on a galileo-based dev kit, for which this looks
>>> like the obvious choice:
>>>
>>> https://software.intel.com/en-us/iotdevkit
>>>
>>> but that page says "upcoming". does it exist? my normal go-to source
>>> up here, digikey.ca, shows zero in stock. where can i lay hands on
>>> one (if possible)? thanks.
>> If it helps I had a Galileo Dev Kit delivered from RS (UK) a couple of
>> days ago.
>>
>> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/7919611/
>>
>> (I'm actually a bit confused about how the Galileo IoT collection of
>> meta-foo layers relates to the primary meta-foo
>>  sources, as I can't seem to find an independent meta-clanton ;ayer
>> which I guess I'd need. Early days yet, but am planning
>>  on working through this as soon as I get some time as I want to test a
>> build with meta-moo support on Galileo)
>   i finally have time to play with this, and am interested in using
> yocto to build a bootable system for the galileo. i see that there is
> a version "1.0.0" of the firmware for this board -- is there a
> convenient yocto recipe that involves just downloading the layer info
> and not what looks like the current entire tarball that's stuffed with
> all the sources?
>
>   i suspect that, within a day or two, i'll figure that out once i
> start digging around. if it's already documented somewhere, that would
> be even better. :-)

Still a bit up in the air with this here Robert.

I've not been able to work out if there's a primary source for
meta-clanton independent
of the packaged iot layer, so I grabbed meta-intel-iot-devkit in its
entirety from
 git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-intel-iot-devkit

I built one of my own custom mono images based on core-image-sato
thinking I could
put that on a uSD and it would "just boot" (oh the optimism... :)

No joy there so I took a quick look through that Quark BSP guide and it
seemed to be
talking about booting some odd kind of image format from a file on uSD.

I stepped back and had it build the iot-devkit-image which seemed to
need be to make a
change to an image dependency on python to python-core.

That's where I had to leave it as I ran out of time. I was planning on
hooking up serial to the
Tx/Rx pins to see if anything is happening there, getting something
building, then replacing
the meta-intel-iot-devkit references in BBLAYERS (aside from
meta-clanton) with the daisy
layers I'm using on a day to day basis.

Will let you know once I get a bit of life out of it!

Cheers, Alex