[yocto] couple simple questions on building for intel galileo

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu May 8 10:58:28 PDT 2014

On Thu, 8 May 2014, Diego Sueiro wrote:

> Robert,
> Here is some instructions with some workarounds:
> http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergey-s-blog/intelgalileo-buildinglinuximage
>
> And I think that you already saw meta-intel-iot-devkit:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-iot-devkit/

  at the moment, i am at my wit's end trying to build a simple
bootable SD card for the galileo, and since i need one of those to
boot my eventual yocto build, i figure this is at least remotely on
topic.

  what is the proper and acceptable format for a bootable SD card for
the galileo, and how does one boot from it? i have read *numerous*
online recipes, all of which differ subtlely but maddeningly from one
another. there is an alleged linux image file one can download:

  LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5.7z

which uncompresses and unloads into the following:

./core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz
./bzImage
./image-full-clanton.ext3
./boot
./boot/grub
./boot/grub/grub.conf

but how one "installs" that on an SD card that is bootable by a
galileo board is a mystery i have yet to fathom, and various recipes
online differ in what they think is required:

* some recipes insist the filesystem must be FAT or FAT16, while
others claim FAT or FAT32
* one recipe will claim that the partition must be bootable, another
insists it works without that
* some recipes explain that the SD card should contain one partition
(as in, you know, /dev/sdc1), while another recipe *appears* to claim
that you need to format the *raw* SD card as a FAT partition

  i have tried various incantations of fdisk and mkfs and so on, to
the point where i am quite prepared to toss this board out a second
story window.

  can anyone point me at a set of instructions that will give me a
bootable SD card for this board?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca