[yocto] A simpler way of creating an using a local kernel repository - BeagleBone example

Bob Feretich bob.feretich at rafresearch.com
Tue May 6 15:31:52 PDT 2014

I have had problems getting good download performance when accessing the
kernels at kernel.org. Since I expect to build the kernel several times,
I decided to create a copy of the kernel repository locally and use that
for my builds.

There are instructions on how to create a local repository in the Yocto
manuals, but those are more complex than I needed. (I don't plan on
checking anything into the repository.)

The below is a simpler way of creating and using the repository.
I'm publishing this because my search though the Yocto/OE/Angstrom
yielded only the more complicated or incomplete methods.

// First set up local kernel repository
mkdir ~/ksrc3-8
cd ~/ksrc3-8
git clone --bare
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
stable-work-bare.git

// Then modify the kernel recipe to use the local repository instead of
the the one at kernel.org.
// The beaglebone recipe for the 3.8 kernel is at...
setup-scripts/sources/meta-beagleboard/common-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-mainline_3.8.bb

// Replace the file's SRC_URI with one that points to your local repository.
#SRC_URI =
"git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;branch=linux-3.8.y"
SRC_URI = "git:///home/Bob/ksrc3-8/stable-work-bare.git;branch=linux-3.8.y"

Regards,
Bob