[yocto] Definition of Yocto tasks

Bob Feretich bob.feretich at rafresearch.com
Mon May 5 16:52:09 PDT 2014

Is there a document that provides a detailed definition of what each
these tasks do?
Yocto, OE, and bitbake manuals tell us how to command a specific task to
be run, but not what they do.

The task name provides a good hint sometimes, but often that is not
enough. Users shouldn't have to read the python code for this
information. These descriptions should be a part of the yocto manual.

Sections 5.3.4 to 5.3.11 of the Yocto mega-manual provide a good
overview of some of these tasks in the context of a workflow, but
doesn't mention most of these tasks and doesn't go into enough detail on
the tasks it discusses.

It wouldn't be appropriate to add more detail at that point in the
manual, but it would be appropriate to include details regarding all of
the tasks in an appendix.

Examples...
The manual states that do_fetch fetches source, but doesn't state that
when git is used whether it performs a pull, fetch, or clone. What are
the common failure conditions of do_fetch? And what should the user do
to fix the problem?

do_build is mentioned a few times, but there is no reference to it being
the default task or what tasks are invoked by do_build and which are
omitted.

do_rm_work and do_wm_work_all are not mentioned at all.

Result of listtasks:
do_fetchall
do_build
do_devshell
do_package_write_ipk
do_cleansstate
do_savedefconfig
do_uboot_mkimage
do_sizecheck
do_strip
do_packagedata_setscene
do_configure
do_clean
do_deploy_setscene
do_cleanall
do_populate_lic
do_populate_sysroot
do_devicetree_image
do_deploy
do_menuconfig
do_patch
do_bundle_initramfs
do_packagedata
do_listtasks
do_compile
do_package_setscene
do_populate_lic_setscene
do_fetch
do_checkuri
do_compile_kernelmodules
do_package_write_ipk_setscene
do_package_write
do_rm_work
do_package
do_unpack
do_install
do_checkuriall
do_populate_sysroot_setscene
do_rm_work_all

I don't have the knowledge to create such an appendix, but I volunteer
to be a proofreader.

Regards,
Bob