[yocto] DL_DIR problems

Flanagan, Elizabeth elizabeth.flanagan at intel.com
Mon May 5 10:50:35 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Christopher Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Bollinger, Seth <Seth.Bollinger at digi.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We’re trying to share a DL_DIR over NFS so all developers don’t have to
>> re-download source files every time they want to do a clean build.
>> Unfortunately we’re running into problems with lock files that are left
>> behind by (sometimes) terminated processes.  This will block users who are
>> trying subsequent builds.  How are others approaching this problem?
>

> One option would be to maintain an internal downloads mirror, either
> populated by an autobuilder or by an rsync after engineer builds to the
> server hosting it. There'd be duplication in local disk space, but you'd
> avoid the NFS locking issues.

This is similar how the project infrastructure works.

nfs:/dl_dir
nfs:/rsynced_dl_dir

autobuilder uses the nfs:/dl_dir and a period rsync syncs to
rsync_dl_dir. We can then use the rsync dir as our mirror. It ends up
solving a few issues. If you don't want to run a full autobuilder,
just a bitbake universe -c fetch on a cron job with all your layers
would do it.

-b

> --
> Christopher Larson
> clarson at kergoth dot com
> Founder - BitBake, OpenEmbedded, OpenZaurus
> Maintainer - Tslib
> Senior Software Engineer, Mentor Graphics

Elizabeth Flanagan
Yocto Project
Build and Release