[yocto] matchbox-terminal and function keys

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Wed Mar 26 22:50:41 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I hope I've got the right list.  I'm in the process of porting an
ncurses application to Yocto Linux and having a bit of a problem
decoding function keys.

Ideally I'd like to run the application from /etc/inittab but for now,
I'm running it within X11 with matchbox-terminal.

I observe that with ncurses applications: F6 through to F10 work, but F1
through to F5 do not.

The terminal reports itself as TERM=xterm.  When I do a `cat`, I observe
that matchbox-terminal is reporting F1-F5 using VT100 terminal
sequences, but F6-F10 using VT220 sequences.  If I set TERM=vt100, I get
F1-F5 working, but unfortunately, I need F10 as well.

So the terminal that matchbox-terminal emulates is neither a VT100 nor a
VT220 (or the superset it claims to be: xterm), but a confused mix of
the two.

Is there some setting to change this behaviour or is this a bug?
Regards,
--
Stuart Longland
Systems Engineer