[yocto] [OE-core] OpenEmbedded and musl-libc

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Mar 26 09:48:29 PDT 2014

Dear Khem Raj,

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:22:24 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> it has been under my radar for a while. I have actually locally made
> toolchains with
> clang+musl and it seems to be coming along. its licensed differently thats
> the biggest attraction for folks who do static linking. Otherwise it still
> doesnt yet support variety of architectures that other libcs support. given
> now we have kconfig for eglibc too may be it fills in the nommu gap much
> like uclibc does today.

The non-MMU gap? Last time I looked, musl didn't had support for any
non-MMU architecture. See also
http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2014-February/048258.html:

"""
> Do you intend to have support for non-MMU architectures in musl?

At present there isn't a plan to, but we're not particularly opposed
to it either. The big questions are how invasive it would be and
whether we can provide full functionality in any reasonable way. The
answers to those questions wouldn't translate directly to a yes or no
but would be an important part of considerations. It would probably
help to have someone familiar with the technical aspects of supporting
non-MMU archs discuss it with us on our mailing list or IRC channel.

Rich
"""

Thomas
--