[yocto] Problems building documentation for bitbake 1.17.0

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:29:50 PDT 2014

I poked around some more after sending my email (instead of doing the work
I was supposed to be doing) and found that, by ignoring the docbook
messages and just letting the setup complete for 1.17.0, it worked (once I
apt-got another package or two: xsltproc, libxml2-utils, fop, maybe
others).  So I now have a doc/manual/html directory for 1.17.0.

I still can't build the docs (with "make DOC=user-manual") on master
though.  It fails to build user-manual.pdf:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/common/en.xml:188:
parser error : Premature end of data in tag l10n line 2
<l:gentext key="listof
                      ^
[warning] /usr/bin/fop: Unable to locate servlet-api in /usr/share/java
Default page-height set to: 11in
Default page-width set to: 8.26in
Exception
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: String index out of range: 0
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 0

******** Creating Tarball of document files

cd user-manual; tar -cvzf user-manual.tgz user-manual-style.css
user-manual.html user-manual.pdf figures/bitbake-title.png; cd ..
user-manual-style.css
user-manual.html
tar: user-manual.pdf: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
figures/bitbake-title.png
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

I'm not to sure what to make of this :-)
--wpd