[yocto] Yocto not packaging "m" kernel modules

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:21:17 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 2:48 AM, Ashish Dalela <ashish.dalela at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my build I see that the kernel modules which are specified as modular (
> "m" in the kernel config) are not being packaged withe rootfs. The modules
> specified as built-in ("y" in the kernel config) are being packaged in the
> rootfs. This seems to be reverse of what it should be.
>
> As an example, I have the following options for my kernel config specified
> additionally as part of my BSP layer. The modules "y" are packaged with
> rootfs but "m" are not.
>
> CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=y
> CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_EEM=m
> CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_NCM=y
> CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC75XX=m
> CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_SUBSET=y
>
> How do I fix this? Making everything "y" is not a good idea if I want to
> avoid loading these until really needed.

Have you specified "kernel-modules" in your image types installed packages ?
Or listed the individual module packages in the RDEPENDS of either the
image recipe, or recipes that require them ?

They'll be built and packaged automatically, but they won't be in the
rootfs until
something depends on them, or they are added to the install.

Bruce

> Thanks
> -Ashish

thee at its end"