[yocto] Beagleboard booting kernel in qemu, halts

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Thu Mar 13 13:32:09 PDT 2014

On 13 March 2014 18:59, Mateusz Kaczanowski
<kaczanowski.mateusz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm trying to run beagleboard image in qemu. So I've built the kernel and
> rootfs via yocto.
>
> But! Yocto generates zImage so I did:
> MACHINE=beagleboard bitbake virtual/kernel
> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x80008000 -e 0x80008000 -n
> "Linux kernel" -d ./zImage uImage
>
> and then I'm  running the sdcard with
> qemu-system-arm -M beaglexm -drive if=sd,cache=writeback,file=/dev/sdb
> -clock unix -serial stdio
>
> Booting halts and nothing happends, no login prompt.
> I would appreciate ANY help, I'm really lame in that subject:/
>
> That is my output:
>

> Kernel command line: console=ttyO2,115200n8 mpurate=auto buddy=none
> camera=none vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16 at 60 omapdss.def_disp=dvi
> root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait

Ignoring how gmail has wrapped it, this is the kernel command line.
It's putting the console on ttyO2 which is a serial port on the
Beagleboard xM. You need to somehow change it so the console is on
tty1 if you want it to appear on the screen in qemu.

Hope this helps,

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk