[yocto] Yocto Labs

Ruud den Bekker ruud.den.bekker at cordis.nl
Mon Jun 23 04:20:39 PDT 2014

Hi Arun,

The link mentioned by Alex,is really a good starting point.
I was completely unaware of yocto until 5 weeks ago and started
using this URL.

In the meantime, I have achieved:
- running an ARM kernel + RFS + Mono running in Qemu using NFS (to be
reached from any other PC)
- running an ARM kernel + RFS + Mono running using NFS running on an ARM
development board.
- added 2 custom drivers to the yocto build environment (source code in
a local tarball for now)

The kernel (2.6.37) is being build separately from the yocto generated
RFS.
(since the board manufacturer does not support the V3.x kernel for it)

I have two NFS trees, one with soft float routines and one with
hard float routines (using ARM hardware) that both work on the board.

I had some problems building with hard float of which the cause is
still unknown.

Major issues that I encountered were:
- adapting our x86 mono build environment to ARM (some compiler issues)
- a corrupted U-boot on my development board
- getting qemu to run with NFS properly
- difference between ttyO0 and ttyAMA0 for physical board and Qemu!
- how to convert a make project to an automake project (for the drivers)

So it takes a bit of time, depending on what you need to do and your
level of experience.

The ONE thing that I did not find was how to setup my environment for
ARM hard float so I can build test applications for the board.
Turned out to be also no big deal once everything else was up and
running.

FYI: my development environment: Ubuntu-14.04 in Vmware Player on a
Window 7 machine.

Best regards,

Ruud