[yocto] Why use Yocto?

Insop Song insop.song at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:17:45 PDT 2014

Just add my few cents of using Yocto.

Since yocto is tailored towards embedded system, normally it includes
light weight (strip-down version/flavor) software and servers, such as
sysklogd instead of syslogd and busybox cron instead of crond.

Which is not a bad thing at all, as this make sure your system is less bloated.

However, just be aware that when you want to make some changes to
these server configurations, you need more debugging time since some
of this strip-down servers does not behave as other full blown
servers. Also this means that google search wont' give you good
answers either since most of the answers to the existing distribution
(ubuntu, debian,,,) targeted.

On the other hand, this mailing list is very active, and you will get
answers from other developers quickly.

ISS