[yocto] How to copy recipe and have different target names

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:31:09 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Brian Smucker <bds at bsmucker.eu.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have yocto generate two copies of busybox, one
> statically-linked and one dynamically linked. So I try to make a copy of the
> busybox recipe and give it a new name like busybox-s_xxxxx.bb
>
> But my knowlege of yocto comes up short and I get lots of errors.
>
> Is there a way to do this cleanly?  Or should I be trying to do a different
> approach?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Brian,

I don't think there is an 'official' way to do that.
For a similar purpose (buidling static binaries against klibc) I have
developed two solutions, both using a custom class:

1) for easy-to-adapt recipes, BBCLASSEXTEND +  the custom class
http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-initramfs/recipes-bsp/kexecboot/kexecboot_0.6.bb

2) for the stubborn cases, create a copy of the recipe and may need to
adjust some vars (S, FILESPATH or better FILESEXTRAPATHS, ...)
see  i.e.
http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-initramfs/recipes-devtools/mtd/ubi-utils-klibc_1.5.0.bb
http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-initramfs/recipes-kernel/kexec/kexec-tools-klibc_2.0.2.bb

I guess busybox belongs to the heavy ones...

Cheers

Andrea