[yocto] Autotools, Init Script templates and configure.ac

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 03:26:31 PDT 2014

On 15/06/2014 11:20, Alex J Lennon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Script Installation -
>
> I've been looking at autotools recipes and from the various
> examples/tutorials I've seen there
> doesn't appear to be a baked-in way of using and installing initscripts
> on different platforms.
>
> The recommendation I eventually went with was something like this in
> Makefile.am
>
> install-data-hook:
>         update-rc.d pi-blaster.boot.sh defaults
>         $(init_ddir)/pi-blaster.boot.sh start
>
> uninstall-hook:
>         update-rc.d pi-blaster.boot.sh remove
>         killall pi-blaster
>
> update-rc.d doesn't seem to account for the sysroot properly, even if I
> add $(sysconfdir)/init.d and
> I'm wondering if there is a better, best practice, way to handle script
> installation with Autotools such
> that Yocto is happy without patches?
>
> (I also had a look at adding -r into update-rc.d but I am guessing there
> is a better, more host transparent,
> way I should be using?)
>
> Script Templates -
>
> A few times now I have encountered init scripts which assume LSB
> functions are present. I've patched
> these  so they work with Yocto images without LSB. I am aware that there
> is a LSB image for Yocto but
> I don't use it.
>
> I have hunted around and seen many and varied init script templates, but
> can anybody recommend
> a "gold standard" init script that would work happily either in a Yocto
> image with no LSB or make
> use of LSB functions when present.
>
> I'd like to standardise on and use such a script moving forward.

I should perhaps add that I've been using the Yocto update-rc.d bbclass
very happily.

I can patch out the autotools hooks in Makefile.am and my recipe will
work fine.

What I'm not understanding is if there's a standardised way to write the
autotools configuration
that would eliminate the need for Yocto update-rc.d

Thanks,

Alex