[yocto] Custom image for EMB-3500

Yocto user yoctouser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:35:06 PDT 2014

Hi,

This is Rohit, I am trying to get yocto wokring on a ARM Board (EMB-3500
iMX6).

The board doesn't support booting from Memory card. So we use the mfgtools
to flash the image to on board Nand. We have Ubuntu Image which works with
no issue.
The Ubuntu Image has 3 files,
1. rootfs.tar.bz2
2. u-boot.bin
3. uImage

I have build a Yocto iMX6qSabreauto core-image-full-cmdline image, copied
the "core-image-full-cmdline-imx6qsabreauto.tar.bz2" and
"uImage-imx6qsabreauto.bin" in place of "rootfs.tar.bz2" and "uImage"

Tried to flash the image to Nand, it fails to boot. I get following error,

MMC read: dev # 3, block # 2048, count 8192 ... 8192 blocks read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 10800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga+g232293e
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    5264120 Bytes =  5 MB
   Load Address: 10008000
   Entry Point:  10008000
   Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

I have tried to use the working kernel (Ubuntu - uImage). The kernel loads,
but the board turns off automatically. I get following message before it
turn off,

EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): using internal journal
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): recovery complete
EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) on device 179:1.
Freeing init memory: 212K
Any help in fixing this issue is really appreciated.
Thanks,
Rohit