[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] how to customize kernel config?

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 13:47:17 PDT 2014

On 12/06/2014 07:48, Jonatan Magnusson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’m trying to use the meta-raspberrypi BSP with Yocto (1.6, Daisy).
>
> It works great, except I have no idea how to use a custom kernel config!
>
> I have a custom kernel recipe that bbappends to the meta-raspberrypi kernel recipe.
>
> I’ve tried using defconfig as well as configuration fragments, but neither work.
>
> I’ve also tried using the kernel_configure_variable function, and that almost works, except if I try to disable an option that is enabled earlier in the the config file, the option is still enabled since kernel_configure_variable only appends to the config file.
>
> Example:
>
> do_configure_append() {
>   kernel_configure_variable SPI_SPIDEV n
> }
>
> So I wonder: how is this supposed to work?
>
> In my case I need to enable CONFIG_IEEE802154_MRF24J40 and it’s dependencies and disable CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV and a few more.
>
> I’ve found no help on IRC and all Google comes up with is this old discussion, which does not lead to a solution:
>
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2013-November/017113.html
>
> I would be very happy to get any hints on how this is supposed to work!

Jonatan,

I have a patch set here which I believe will enable configuration
fragment support (yocto-ization) for the RPi as detailed in the Yocto
Kernel Development Manual.

It needs more testing before I would be comfortable releasing it, and I
am short of time right now. The kernel builds and my testing shows that
the config and config. fragments seem to get picked up, but I haven't
tested on a board yet as I have run into trouble moving up from Yocto
daisy to master.

I wonder if you would be interested in taking a look at it with me?
If/when it worked/works you should be able to simply add a foo.cfg file
with your CONFIG_foo to SRC_URI in a .bbappend and that should get
pulled in as you need.

Cheers,

Alex

Cheer