[yocto] Linux Yocto style kernel errors with no config fragments

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 06:59:36 PDT 2014

On 12/06/2014 14:53, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 14-06-12 09:46 AM, Alex J Lennon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was taking a quick look at converting the meta-raspberrypi kernel
>> recipes to be linux-yocto style, to provide config frag support.
>>
>> I'm working with poky master, referencing linux-yocto-custom.bb in
>> meta-skeleton
>>
>> This seems to be working as far as it goes, but I get an error when
>> there are no configuration fragments supplied on the SRC_URI.
>>
>> | DEBUG: Executing shell function do_kernel_configme
>> | [INFO] doing kernel configme
>> | [INFO] Configuring target/machine combo: "standard/raspberrypi"
>> | [INFO] collecting configs in ./.meta/meta-series
>> | cat: .meta/cfg/standard/raspberrypi/config_frag.txt: No such file or
>> directory
>> | cat: .meta/cfg/standard/raspberrypi/config_frag.txt: No such file or
>> directory
>> | mv: cannot stat
>> `[.....]/tmp/work/raspberrypi-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-raspberrypi/3.12.21+gitcb53ea88f75180cc1ba74f7f197c8e3fd4f47cfe-r0/linux-raspberrypi-standard-build/.tmp.config*':
>>
>> No such file or directory
>> | creation of pre-processed config data failed
>> | config of "standard/raspberrypi" failed
>>
>> When I add an empty file://dummy.cfg file to the SRC_URI then I can
>> build successfully.
>>
>> When I add a dummy option CONFIG_DUMMY=y into that fragment file
>> do_kernel_configcheck correctly flags up that this is an unknown option
>> for the kernel so it seems to be pulled in ok.
>>
>> Can anybody advise?
>
> I have a fix for a similar issue in a patch queue that I'm going to
> finish work on short (as part of 1.7 development work) .. the error
> message that is generated in that scenario is certainly not much
> help to anyone.
>
> To see if this is the same issue, I'll ask a quick clarification
> question.
>
> From what you describe .. when you see the message, do you also
> have a defconfig on the SRC_URI ?

Hi Bruce,

Currently I'm using -

SRC_URI =
"git://github.com/raspberrypi/linux.git;protocol=git;branch=rpi-3.12.y \
           file://sl030raspberrypii2ckernel.patch \
           file://dummy.cfg \
          "

The original RPi recipe seems to be trying to use KERNEL_DEFCONFIG to use
an existing config within the tree so I had left that alone thus far,
but I'm not sure it
is being pulled in so am looking at this now too,

# NOTE: For now we pull in the default config from the RPi kernel GIT tree.
KERNEL_DEFCONFIG = "bcmrpi_defconfig"

Thanks,

Alex