[yocto] Conditional patches on kernel depending on board, how to maintain?

Daniel Hilst Selli danielhilst at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 04:54:42 PDT 2014

I have a SoM which will be used on several boards, this SoM has a base
kernel for it, with its board-*.c file. In each board I may have
different peripherals, so I have to patch the same board-*.c file
depending on my target board, and that patches may be conflicting one
each other. For example, I could have a RF on first SPI bus on one
board, and on another board a SD card on same first SPI bus.

So basically I will have a different kernel(uImage) and rootfs (with
kernel modules) for each board.

I think to create a layer for each target board, with the
linux-SoM.bbappend including the patches for that board..., so I enable
the layer depending on target board I'm creating, but is too much file
editions, or have a build directory for each target board, enabling the
right layer on each local.conf, but this means mantaining build
directories, or at last local.conf, which doesn't seem a good idea for me...

Would be possible to do this relying only new layers and its configurations?

Thanks in advance
Cheers!