[yocto] How to leave original git remote in unpacked repository?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 12 03:58:39 PDT 2014

Hi Alex,

On Friday 30 May 2014 12:39:13 Alex J Lennon wrote:
> When I drop into a devshell for an unpacked SRV_REV from a particular
> git SRC_URI I have the git remote origin set to a local archive in the
> ~/downloads tree.
>
> Is there a build variable, say, I can set to leave the original git
> remote set as well so that I can more easily push back changes I make?
>
> (Or is that a bad idea for some reason?)

There isn't a way to do this, and to be honest with the discussions we've had
recently about developer workflow, I'm not sure we want to encourage doing
development within the workdir for a recipe because it's managed by the build
system, and if you're not careful (e.g. with -c clean, rm_work or just
changing SRC_URI) the sources can vanish taking your changes with it. Our
alternative at the moment is to use externalsrc [1]. This is a little more
work though and at the OEDAM meeting [2] there was some discussion about how
we could make this easier in future.

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#building-software-from-an-external-source