[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Purpose of vc-graphics-hardfp.bb & vc-graphics.bb unclear

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Tue Jun 10 12:26:07 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Alex J Lennon <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
> wrote:

> On 03/06/2014 15:31, Felix01 Fischer wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> my ongoing struggle to get qt5 working on the raspberrypi led me to a
> question unrelated to qt5.
>
> why do vc-graphics-hardfp.bb & vc-graphics.bb exist? [1]
> There is no recipe which uses on of this files.
> If I add one of them to my image via IMAGE_INSTALL_append I get errors
> that userland.git and vc-grapics-hardfp both provide virtual/egl and
> virtual/libgles2.
> (Which they obviously do.) [2]
>
> My question is: What is the reason for having userland_git.bb &
> vc-graphics.bb/vc-graphics-hardfp ?
>

> Hi Felix,
>
> I'm not sure, but I've been looking at userland vs vc-graphics recently
> and I believe it is historical.
>
> Originally the intermediate layer between userspace and the videocore was
> distributed as binaries
> which is what vc-graphics pulls down
>
> ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc
>
> More recently Broadcom opened up the source and provided it under a more
> relaxed license, and this
> is what userland provides:
>
> ref: http://www.raspberrypi.org/open-source-arm-userspace/
> ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland
>
> Somebody will no doubt correct me if my guess is wrong :)
>
> I have been using userland + gstreamer reasonably sucessfully here
> although my patch is needed for some
> of the userspace apps (e.g. raspivid), and there are some configuration
> issues that need patching still
> relating to gstreamer1.0-omx
>
> ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/pull/179
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex

Exactly. We used to have binaries in the first place and we keep them so
people can test / use the binaries in their configurations.
If for whatever reason somebody wants to use the binaries (we still update
the repos for binaries too) the only thing needed is to redefine
 PREFERRED_PROVIDER_*.
--
*Andrei Gherzan*
m: +40.744.478.414 |  f: +40.31.816.28.12