[yocto] Best way to "freeze" Yocto for production

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Jun 10 11:57:37 PDT 2014

On 10 June 2014 18:31, Marlon Smith <marlon.smith10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since Yocto is updated pretty frequently, at some point we'll need to freeze
> everything and keep a permanent copy so that we can make small changes/bug
> fixes without having to worry about anything being changed outside of our
> control.  My current theory is that we'll do a bitbake -c fetchall, then zip
> up the entire Yocto directory and save it somewhere so we'll always have a
> static copy.  We'll place our application and custom bsp layer under a
> separate Git repository, and then to do a build we'll just combine
> everything together and run bitbake on the whole thing.

The source archiver can be used to keep a "known good" copy of the
sources used, or you can just backup the DL_DIR (put it on a server
and use it as a source mirror for good measure). For your layers, I
recommend keeping them in git and document what oe-core/poky/bitbake
versions your own code has been tested against.  For any changes you
have against oe-core/bitbake/poky them in git clones of the relevant
repository, branched off the relevant release branches (daisy, dylan,
etc).

Ross