[yocto] Why use Yocto?

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Tue Jun 10 07:39:53 PDT 2014

On 06/10/2014 07:25 AM, Christian Ege wrote:

> Am 10.06.2014 12:38 schrieb "Paul Barker" <paul at paulbarker.me.uk
> <mailto:paul at paulbarker.me.uk>>:
>  >
>  > On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 03:52:50PM -0700, Marlon Smith wrote:
>  > > Hi everyone,
>  > >
>  > > I'm developing a product that will run on a custom i.MX6 board and I'm
>  > > trying to decide whether to use Yocto or Ubuntu (there's a version of
>  > > Ubuntu packaged for the Wandboard that will run on our board).  The
>  > > board will run our own custom app, and we'll modify the Linux kernel to
>  > > support our hardware.
>  > >
>  > > Ubuntu seems like it would be ready to go - just put it on an SD card,
>  > > boot the board, compile the app and create a new SD card image from the
>  > > result to use for manufacturing.

How dp you plan to sell/market/license your Ubuntu based machine?

Would you become an Ubuntu hardware partner?
http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/find-a-partner/hardware

The scope of this partnership seems to be servers and desktops.  I
assume they also have something in the works for smart phone partners.

However, I'm guessing you're building something that doesn't fit these
categories.

I remember seeing various demo images over the years of Ubuntu running
on embedded hardware, but it always seems to fizzle out.  EmbeddedUbuntu
on the Ubuntu Wiki was last updated in 2009.

But maybe you're talking with people at Canonical and they are telling
you something different? If so, please share.

Phillip brought up licensing issues, and I'm wondering whether you can
roll an "Ubuntu Linux" box without Canonical being on board.