[yocto] How do I create a recipe for laying down post-build config files?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 10 01:53:46 PDT 2014

Hi Jim,

On Monday 09 June 2014 21:44:00 Jim Rafert wrote:
> I'm trying to gather all my post-build tweaks into a recipe that will be
> built as part of an upper-level layer, so that they are installed after the
> meta layer is processed.  Many of these could be accomplished as part of
> .bbappend files for the recipes that originally supply the config files,
> but I wanted to gather all my customizations in one spot, so that they're
> easy to find.
>
> The recipe doesn't actually build anything, so there's no do_build task.
>
> This is surely something that is commonly wanted.
>
> Here's my current recipe, in spectra-postbuild_0.1.bb.
>
> When I try to build an image, the build fails with
> ERROR: QA Issue: spectra-postbuild: Files/directories were installed but not
> shipped /RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> When I disable the installed-vs-shipped QA test,  it fails later when it
> can't find a package file.

In general, disabling installed-vs-shipped is not the right thing to do. What
it's trying to tell you is that you've installed a file in do_install and then
haven't packaged it in any package, which means it can never end up in the
final image.

FYI we've been putting together a section for the manual in the upcoming 1.7
release that attempts to explain each warning and what to do to resolve it;
here is a preview:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#ref-qa-checks

If "fails later when it can't find a package file" means during do_rootfs, this
is almost certainly because the package ended up empty and thus wasn't created
(we don't create empty packages unless ALLOW_EMPTY for the package is set to
"1", but generally the fix is to ensure the files you expect to be packaged into
the package are actually packaged).

Cheers,
Paul

--