[yocto] Why use Yocto?

Marlon Smith marlon.smith10 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:52:50 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm developing a product that will run on a custom i.MX6 board and I'm
trying to decide whether to use Yocto or Ubuntu (there's a version of
Ubuntu packaged for the Wandboard that will run on our board).  The
board will run our own custom app, and we'll modify the Linux kernel to
support our hardware.

Ubuntu seems like it would be ready to go - just put it on an SD card,
boot the board, compile the app and create a new SD card image from the
result to use for manufacturing.

Yocto seems like it would be easier to remove unneeded packages from,
and easier to cross-compile the application for.  This means we could
have a smaller SD card image in the end.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Marlon