[yocto] Procedure to build Initramfs Image

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:11:44 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Sasikanth babu <sasikanth.v19 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     How to build initramfs image (rootfs embedded in kernel - uimage)?. I
> know it has been asked several time on this mailing list  but could find a
> solution?.
>

> I tried steps mentioned in the below link
>
> http://kexecboot.org/documentation/crosscompiling/oe-yocto

Hi Sasikanth,

this set of recipes is not the generic way to embedd an initramfs but
covers a special usercase: different libc (klibc) for compiling the
cpio.

> but I got rootfs.cpio.gz and uimage no initramfs(rootfs embedded in kernel);

You have to manually bitbake the "linux-my-initramfs" recipe. Unless
explicitely specified in your machine.conf building the initramfs or
the virtual/kernel does not trigger the automatic build of your second
kernel containing the cpio.

> Any suggestions or links on how to build initamfs image.

See for reference the patch introducing the easy-embedding [1] and
further changes :
[1]
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/meta?id=609d5a9ab9e58bb1c2bcc2145399fbc8b701b85a

> Thanks in advance.