[yocto] yocto-bsp treats beaglebone as omap3 device

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Fri Jun 6 12:48:44 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 14:28 -0400, Matthew Keeter wrote:
> I’ve got a quick question about using the yocto-bsp tool (release 1.6):
>
> Using it to create an ARM BSP from the beaglebone machine branch results in a BSP
> that targets the OMAP3 processor (which is on the beagleboard, not the beaglebone).
>
> I say this because the default value for UBOOT_MACHINE is “omap3_beagle_config” and
> the kernel device tree in conf/machine/my-bbb.conf points to an omap3 device tree.
>
> This appears to be incorrect behavior and disagrees with the default beaglebone machine
> configuration in meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/beaglebone.conf
>
> Am I missing something, or is the tool doing the wrong thing?

It's not really doing the wrong thing, it's just sort of outdated and
not doing what I guess you'd expect, which is to match the reference
board in meta-yocto-bsp (note that the yocto-bsp tool doesn't really
have anything to do with meta-yocto-bsp, though the names are similar).

The old arm reference board was the beagleboard, and that's what the
yocto-bsp template reflects, and should probably be updated to use the
beaglebone settings.

> Any suggested work-arounds?

I'd suggest just manually modifying the generated BSP to match your
hardware; technically the output of yocto-bsp is only guaranteed to
build, not necessarily successfully boot on a given board.  The Intel
boards have been boot-tested, but that's just because I have the
necessary hardware, and nobody's actually paid much attention to the arm
output, as far as I can tell.  If you have suggestions other than that
that the output should match the beaglebone reference in meta-yocto-bsp,
I'd be happy to make those changes in the next iteration of the tool.

Thanks,

Tom