[yocto] Problems with postinstall

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Fri Jun 6 05:31:04 PDT 2014

On 6 June 2014 12:08, Neuer User <auslands-kv at gmx.de> wrote:
>> The postinst is executed by the package manager when the package is
>> installed. If that installation takes place during do_rootfs, ${D}
>> will refer to the rootfs directory for the image being built and ${S}
>> will probably refer to something else to do with the image recipe but
>> I'm not entirely sure on the details. If the installation takes place
>> on the device, or the postinst is delayed until the first boot, ${D}
>> and ${S} will not be set.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>

> So, I guess there are now two possibilities:
> a.) The postinstall is not done at all.
> b.) The postinstall is done, but before the other packages are
> installed, which overwrite the files again. Is this possible? If yes,
> howto specify that this postinstall should really be done last of all?

Basically a postinstall is *not* the way of doing this.  You can't
control when it runs and when it does, you can't get to the files you
want to install.

If the files are installed by other packages then use a bbappend to
change those files.  If nothing installs them already, write a recipe
to install them.  If there are changes that can only be done at rootfs
time, then use a rootfs postproces command.

Ross